Sunday 13 August 2017

Not just a pink plate

It's amazing how the sight of a pink plate can take you right back to your childhood in an instant!

This pink plate to be precise.




It was my Grandmother's and when she passed away in 2007 it went to a cousin of hers.  Now that she is no longer here either, it was at my parent's house.
The second I saw it I was back in my Grandparent's house. I can still see every inch of it.  The green bathroom, the way the living room seemed to feel comfy even before you had sat down, the seemingly massive dining table, my Grandfather's paintings and artwork everywhere, the many pots with paint brushes standing in them in his studio, the conservatory with the giant grape vine all round the ceiling and a garden that felt like you could run round it for hours and never be found, so many hiding places.

These days of course, Grandma and Grandpa's house, for our children, is my parent's house.  The rocking horse made by my grandfather now resides at Mum and Dads and is frequently used by our children.


But to myself and my brother, it's somewhere totally different,  different sight, smell, everything.  A little old bungalow that in the end, if you had touched it with your little finger it would have fallen down, and of course now is no longer there. 

38/33 years of growing up memories brought back on the sight of a pink plate!  I can even smell the Sunday dinners as a child in the dining room!

I think the last time i was there was probably just after we got married in 2006, my husband of course I met in my grandparent's garden 2001!   But that's another story!

I can only hope that our children grow up making as many precious memories as we did at their Grandma and Grandpa's house. Also that the various handmade toys that link directly to our Grandparents such as the rocking horse,  hobby horse (named Marmite!) and dolls house continue to be played with for generations to come. Xx











No comments:

Post a Comment