Tuesday 12 June 2018

Being Me

They say before you judge anyone you should imagine walking in their shoes, because everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about.

If you've ever heard of, or wondered what skin atrophy looks like, this is it.

This is my left arm last week.




Skin atrophy is the thining of the skin due to prolonged use of hydrocortisone or steroid creams.

It means I only have to breathe in the direction of a door or wall or something I may possibly knock into, and I have a bruise.

It means I invested in a cold shoulder top just to try and hide a couple of bruises.

It means I tan easily, which may sound an advantage, but I'd probably tan in December if I wore short sleeves and the sun made a brief appearance!

The cure, not much really. Yes I don't use the hydrocortisone as much now, but if I want my skin to look normal, even if only for 5 minutes before I breathe in the direction of a door handle! Then some use of it is necessary.

So I will be wearing my short sleeved and sleeveless tops this summer and I will have marks on my arms that make me look like I've been beaten up!  But please know, that my skin is actually better than it's ever been these days. That's partly hydrocortisone, partly circumstances.

Much love xx




No comments:

Post a Comment