Tuesday 28 November 2017

Learning to talk

So my 4-year-old son has come so far in the last 2 months since starting school.  A year ago he wasn't toilet trained, still drank out of a baby bottle at night, threw 'terrible 2' tantrums even though he was 3 and most of all, could hardly speak 2 words.

He was recommended for speech therapy, but due to the lengthy waiting list, by the time he actually got offered an appointment he could speak so much more that they decided he no longer needed it and signed him off. 

Toilet training, ditching the baby bottle and the tantrums soon wore off, nursery was working wonders.

However, since starting school, my 'baby' is no longer my baby!  He's coming home showing me 'bar models!'  Yes, the first time I heard him say this I did think I had misheard him!  Apparently this is how they teach them to add up. 
He's talking about diagraphs and innovation and that we must never give up! 
He's grasped the alphabet and writing the letters, and according to his teacher has a natural understanding of maths.  I'm considering that may be he's not actually my child!

However, his latest little gem that is keeping my giggling, is as follows.  He has now learnt to pronounce 'c' and 'g' properly.  He announced during dinner the other evening that he knew what 'P I G' spelt = pig!  I said well done, and then realised he had pronounced the 'g' properly, so naturally got him to repeat 'pig' about 100 times!  Although, when pronouncing pig and other words such as this, there is emphasis on the 'g' so it sounds like 'pigger!'  7-year-old then pipes up 'Mummy what's pigger!'  I explain to her that he's saying pig of course and then think to myself that I should may be get him to pronounce 'bug!'  Do you get it??!!  But I don't think I can deal with the question that will naturally follow from 7-year-old!

In attempting to move him on a bit I've tried to help him pronounce 'l' and 'v.'  It's not gone brilliantly well!  For 'low' he now spells it 'la la la la o w' then proceeds to say 'wow' instead!  And for volcano he says 'v v v' and follows it with pronouncing 'holcano!'

We'll get there, he's done so well, and remembering he's 11 months younger than a lot of them in his class just makes his achievements bigger somehow.

xx




No comments:

Post a Comment